There are nearly as many natural skin care lines, today, as there are conventional products. As people have become aware of the health problems caused by petrochemicals and other artificial ingredients, the demand for safer naturally occurring products has gone up. But, sadly, some of them, even some that are labeled "organic", still contain toxic substances.
Some of these products are very expensive, costing 5-10 times as much as those sold by major cosmetic companies. If they are actually safer, then it's worth the price. But, it would be nice to have something effective, too. There are things that the consumer can do to insure that he or she gets a safe and effective product. Since, safety is most important, let's look at that subject, first.
Reading the label of ingredients is advisable, but naturally occurring substances have chemical names, which cosmetic companies are required to include on their labels. So, sometimes it's hard to tell the good stuff from the bad.
Its helps to learn what should not be used by companies that offer natural skin care lines. Once you learn what ingredients to avoid, it makes it easier to read the label. Here's a list of some of the most common ingredients that you do not want in your skincare products.
• Petrochemicals, including ethylene oxide, polyethylene glycol, ethanol, propylene, isopropyl alcohol, oxybenzone, benzophenone, toluene and benzoic acid
• Petroleum-based moisturizers including petroleum jelly, petrolatum, mineral oil and paraffin
• Artificial preservatives, including parabens and mercury-based thimerosal
A dab of cologne is probably okay, especially if it is lavender or rosewater, but artificial fragrances often contain phthalates, which are hormone disruptors that cause birth defects and may contribute to the growth of certain kinds of cancer.
Some natural skin care lines list the ingredient "fragrance or parfum" on their labels. There is no way to determine what compounds were used to create the fragrance, no way to tell if it is safe. At the very least, added fragrances of all kinds are common allergens.
Now, you might be interested in some of the best ingredients, ones that will really improve your skin's health and appearance. You might be surprised, but your skin needs the same thing that the rest of your body needs. So, the best natural skin care lines contain ingredients like:
• Natural vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps prevent and repair free radical damage, one of the causes of premature aging
• Coenzyme Q10, another antioxidants that is very important to the skin's health, has been shown to repair sun damage, reduce wrinkling and improve softness
• Kelp extracts, contains numerous vitamins and minerals, important to your skin's firmness and moisture balance
• The protein keratin, improves the skin's moisture content, reduces inflammation, supports natural cell rejuvenation
• Avocado oil, rich in essential fatty acids, shown to stimulate the production of collagen
Only the best natural skin care lines contain ingredients like these, but if you want to look better for life, it's worth your time to look for them, now.